Thanks to a trusty little site called brompt.com it's clear that this blog hasn't been updated in over ten weeks. This is a little pathetic -- the lack of prolific writing, not the reminder site -- no? So, friends or anyone who randomly happens upon this site, I hereby pledge to report my musings more regularly. No more Miss Procrastinator.
So far, this corner of the Internet has resorted to talking about shopping for objects or ideas of note. This time, as a recent graduate, I feel it pertinent to discuss briefly the notion of shopping for a job: it's harder than trying to find a well-cut pair of jeans.
Let's work with this "jeans" analogy, shall we? Here's the scene: a girl recognizes the need for new jeans (maybe she, uh, outgrew the old ones or they simply weren't useful -- or maybe she'd never owned jeans before), she takes her measurements and figures out a size that may fit, takes stock of her finances and then goes to stores and boutiques to try pairs within this price range. In the end she leaves a store with a new pair of pants that fit well and are worth their price.
This story describes a simple sequence of events: a need is seen (or created), current circumstances are analyzed to fit the need, the need is fulfilled. Three steps. So:
1. I just finished a graduate program and am in need of a job that
2. uses my training to its full potential and
3. lets me survive.
Within these past ten (plus one day) weeks I've finished school and have begun an interim position with a pretty cool organization that utilizes my talents to its full potential. I've interviewed for a permanent version of what I'm already doing, but wonder if it fits the above list. I've had a lot of fun (and frustration) on the job, but it's this organization's core mission that reflects my training and beliefs. I'm also applying for other, more traditionally academic, posts that continue my path as a lifelong learner and teacher. . . but, dude, it's HARD.
And jeans are something that are *really freaking hard* for me to find. That is, the job-hunt is a lot more complex. Here's my revision to the jeans list:
1. I'm missing an article of clothing. It could be jeans, but it could be a lot of other things that fulfill the role of what jeans do. (jeans:: trousers, khakis, tights, a dress, a tutu)
2. I take any and all physical measurements of my body, analyze my current wardrobe, ask friends for advice on which styles fit or look decent on my person and try a different combination of clothes I already own.
3. When nothing has worked, I scour various stores and the internet for things I like. I compare prices and, when available, message boards and communities that focus on a single brand or article to find what I may need.
4. I narrow my recognition of exactly *what it is* that I may need by thinking about everything listed in #2. I test these options out for a maximum fulfillment of my joy and its need.
4a. #4 can also be called "vocation" and references some wise word from a guy named Parker Palmer.
5. "Vocation" describes a job -- not clothes. Back to clothes.
6. Upon the results of testing different items within my wardrobe, I return all (but one, I hope!) items and start again.
In short, the job search isn't easy. And I've just begun.
No comments:
Post a Comment