I have a Chopin Mazurka stuck in my head. It's one from his earlier compositions (so maybe E minor, first movement, written when he was a teenager). I like playing Chopin a lot, the melody is embedded in lush chords that move logically but still allow room for expression. He's like Schumann in the way he can express a mood or rhythm and my fingers smoosh a beatiful swirling mass of silly putty on the piano keys. The exact piece that's playing between my ears is one I agonized over in high school, where my right hand would get away from the left, but it's so PRETTY. The waltz tempo has this terrific arpeggiated minor 6th chord whose sole job is to employ a melisma on the leading tone leading to its resolution and another downbeat. The main theme goes on for a little while and then changes key to the "B" section of the movement: this is a hymn-like resolution. Then there's a recap with a "thump-y" sort of ending, like the end of a dance. A Mazurka.
Link to follow.
1 comment:
I don't know what most of this means, but I like it.
Post a Comment