06 April 2009

One Silly Question

When preparing for an interview, I read over a list of typical questions that interviewers tend to ask. With most of these questions, interviewers are looking for the candidate to be able to concisely analyze and reflect on their professional background and how it may apply to a potential job. There is just one question that irks me, just a little, in its inability to achieve the above objective:

"What is your worst trait or biggest weakness?"

I've been asked this question in every job interview I can remember, from schools to organizations to staffing firms, and can't figure out why it continues to be included. Ideally, it could be assumed that the interviewer is looking for a honest self-reflection. However, any career guide can tell you that the job candidate shouldn't give such an answer. What Color is your Parachute? phrases the "ideal" answer to the above question as "My problem is that I pay too much attention to detail/ I take too much initiative" and so forth. Basically, the book is telling the job candidate to put a negative twist to postive traits, instead of the objective of the question -- to put a positive spin on potentially negative traits. This is the puzzle.

A Google search brought more than a few results to this issue, and CareerFAQs (www.careerfaqs.com) delivered some helpful answers:
1. First, this question serves as a roadblock to selling yourself. Learn how to identify weaknesses that strengthen your character, and these could be deemed attractive to the potential employer.
2. Find a weakness that works to your advantage. Similar to the answer from What Color is your Parachute?answer honestly but describe this weakness as a potential strength.
3. More importantly, being sincere wins over saying what the interviewers want to hear. Just be yourself.

While "What is your biggest weakness?" is still a vague question, and maybe not the most efficient one, I believe it can be navigated for a successful interview and, just maybe, a positive outcome.

No comments: