30 October 2008

Tangible Navel Gazing



In times of economic hardship (see: Sallie Mae), cold weather, fatigue and closet-searching I'm writing to express gratitude for stuff I have. More and more publications seem to be hopping on the bandwagon for "shopping your closet," so I like to think of this like trend-spotting. Here are a few:



1. brown off-the-shoulder sweater (2002)
This large and fuzzy object of warmth and I have a binge-and-purge relationship. The first few years of its existence I wore it nearly every day whenever the temperature was low. It got me through my first two semesters at Luther, through long nights in the library or a practice room. I've worn it exclusively with jeans -- light ones, dark ones, one pair that I wore until the knees had both ripped -- but it's about the sweater. At six, it's old enough to begin first grade and has risen from a year's hiatus back to the top shelf in my armoire.

2. brown boots (winter 2007)
Purchased in one hectic semester of grad school, they made my (chilly, rainy) day on the way home from the grocery store. I bought them on sale and on impulse. They're one half-size too big, but the extra toe room allows for thicker socks, which are necessary in Boston weather. These have survived torrential rain, ice storms, road salt and almost died after the heels approached collapse. The ladies at Monroe Street Shoe repair in Madison, WI are heavily thanked for repairing them.

3. obsenely thick socks (no idea, I think they belong to my mom)
The wool is tightly woven with a hint of fuzz, and they double as slippers in my apartment. They function best inside ski boots or, maybe later in life, as a cat toy or stuffed animal.

4. teddy bear #2 (1984)
My uncle Steve got this for me when I broke my arm. The bear came with a hat, sweater and scarf, though all that remains is the bear in his matted grey fuzz. At 24 years it still sits atop my bed (though Teddy #1 has the window seat in my old room). The bear's stuffed belly is just enough to give a bit of a lift to my head when I'm reading, too.

5. body pillow (2001)
Though sleeved in a brown cover, its original covering is red corduroy and polka dots. I got it for my sophomore year dorm room, the inner room of a "divided double" in North/Langston Hall at Oberlin. Then it functioned as a lean-to while I studied late into the night to the playlists of Portishead, Manu Chao and MC Solaar (regarding the last two bands -- it's easier to study when they don't sing in English) while my roommate hauled theology tomes from the library. Nowadays, it insulates my bed from the cold outer walls of the apartment's north face.

6. my sister's bikini (2002)
She lent it to me for a beach excursion four years ago and, as she owns other ones, it has made a comfortable home with me. The bottom is brown with white polka dots and the top is brown with a white floral pattern. It works well, though I'm scoping out a newer all-polka dot suit.

7. swim team sweatshirt (1989)
It's red, has a hood with original strings and my name embroidered in cursive on the front. It used to be large and fleece-y and was the best thing to crawl into after a cold morning in the pool. It also used to go down to my knees and envelop my gangly chlorine-soaked self. It's a little smaller now, or maybe I'm just bigger. But I dug it out of the basement a few years ago and haven't left it out of my sight.

Re: the picture. If you can find me in the photo, leave a comment!

One more thing, read my Yelp! page :-)

1 comment:

Wendy Cyphers said...

The photo's on the small side, but I think you're in the fourth row back, on the leftish, with a headband.