I recently attended a non-profit organization career fair sponsored by Idealist.org, and have a few observations about my experience with the event. Overall, there were very few actual jobs offered: Many of the organizations there advertised volunteer positions, fellowships, paid "volunteer" positions (AmeriCorps VISTA, City Year Corps, etc.) or short-term employment (camp counselors). I counted two actual positions, one was administrative/secretarial and the other in development, but this was out of 100+ advertised organizations.
As a result, the swarm of job-seekers there was "hungry," to quote a friend who runs one of the exhibited organizations. The Idealist fair wasn't your typical college career fair crowd: in addition to the well-dressed students, there were young professionals, middle-aged intellectual-looking types looking to transition, and all sorts of private/corporate sector professionals who had been recently laid-off in the economic downturn -- and they weren't job-hunting for their kids. To quote Three Six Mafia, it's hard out there.
As someone who's seeking employment in nonprofit education and arts development, marketing and program management (how much jargon can I fit into one sentence?), it's easy to become dumbfounded when confronted with an exhibitor at these events especially when so many people want the exact same thing you do. How can it be fixed? Practice.
First, take out your resume and look over your objective. What's your current situation? What are your talents? What do YOU want? Once you have this, work out your sales pitch: how amicably and efficiently can you describe yourself? It's a lot like a cattle-call audition in this way. Potential hiring can happen just in the way you state your name and shake the presenter's hand. Next, while at the fair, practice this introduction with as many presenters as possible. Go beyond your interests, too. If the organization isn't looking for someone with your abilities, they'll probably tell you.
After a few nervous laps around the exhibit hall, I breathed deeply and went to talk to a presenter whose organization interests me. After my quick spiel his eyes widened at the idea that I had experience in development and, furthermore, had more ideas about how to boost ("innovate") fundraising for this particular organization. He then gave me a contact with whom I can follow up, which is the next and crucial step.
This type of interaction really helped to brighten my prospects in the career search, even if it was at a crowded and lackluster job fair. In the end, I don't know if I'll get the position, but I sure feel better about the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment