21 September 2010

Those aren't pants . . .are they?

It's a sunny nearly-autumn day and I'm at my desk pondering today's outfit: denim jacket, long button down shirt, belt, leggings, flats.


It's comfortable, but I can't decide if it's cute (in a Peter Pan sort of way) or on the verge of indecent. I looked down at my adopted outfit, then into my email inbox in which an ad for jean-leggings ("jeggings") appeared . . .and then I decided to write about it: have leggings gone from '80s resurgence to pants substitute? And why, exactly?

I found a breezily-comprehensive history, which stated that this popular item's functions promote its continued popularity:

1. Leggings are protective. Whether it's cold or the elements, leggings cover legs -- much like pants.

2. Leggings are comfortable and can be used in sport or every day activity -- not always the case for pants.

3. Leggings, for the most part, are inexpensive. Pants, at least in my budget, tend to cost more than leggings.

So that's 2/3 functions for which leggings "wins" the debate. But does this justify replacing pants? Let's look at the "decency" factor.

1. Leggings are tight-fitting by nature.

That's really it. Leggings have a lot of positive attritbutes, but it's up to the wearer to choose how to flaunt them. I follow only one rule: that my rear is covered by something other than just my leggings.

After all, there's a fine line between my outfit and "Robin Hood: Men in Tights".

1 comment:

Elise said...

seriously, how did leggings take over again so fast? and will they just dissapear again? or will all slim jeans be replaced by jeggings? they are 10x more comfortable. the world is a mysterious place.