After a quick audition tonight, as I left the CFA at Boston University, my thoughts weren't on my own performance or even what I wanted for dinner. My thoughts were focused solely on the gross misdeeds of a small category in my field known as "audition attire". Picture your average soprano, mid-20s, tote bag over her shoulder with newly-applied makeup, curled hair, ill-fitting shoes and the biggest culprit -- the wrap dress.
I know it's no longer 2007, I know that Ms. DVF does a swift business in jersey, but why was every female singer besides myself tonight wearing one? There were patterns, jewel tones, all black, jersey, cotton, too much cleavage, stockings, no stockings. So what's the deal?
As a singer, I've gone through the same Conservatory programs as my colleagues where we learn, eagerly even, about what's appropriate for auditions. Be memorable. Be conservative. Keep your hair out of your face. Be neat and tidy. Wear comfortable shoes. Wear something flattering and comfortable. Sing out!
But while we may sing the same songs, must we all wear the same outfit?
Because, let's face it, wrap dresses aren't flattering on every body.
No comments:
Post a Comment